Below are the questions most frequently asked by agencies. 

Should this not answer your questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Most asylum seekers have full work rights and study rights, which means there is no limitation to how much they can work and for how long.

If their visas have ‘nil conditions’, this means there is no restriction on their right to work or study.

Check what Bridging Visas look like and how to read the condition attached.

It depends if they have work rights.

As a rule, asylum seekers living in the community without work rights are not allowed to volunteer, although this can be discussed with their DIAC officers.

People in Community Detention are allowed to volunteer, but only in ‘volunteer agencies’. They are not allowed to work for free in a business – for instance, they cannot volunteer as a mechanic to use their skills.

It is always worth checking with the person’s DIAC officer to make sure they are not in breach of their visa conditions by volunteering.

A Bridging Visa is not a short-term visa. A Bridging Visa duration is ‘indefinite’. The visa will only expire once the person has exhausted the avenues available to them to claim asylum. This can take several years in some cases. Also, it is worth remembering that many people who ask for protection are successful and receive a Permanent Visa.

Asylum seekers cannot receive Centrelink benefits of any kind.

Asylum seekers on Bridging Visa with work rights are entitled to Stream 1 (Limited) services and a Job Seeker ID Number. They can get these from a Job Services Australia contracting agency. This letter can help them explain their rights when they approach a JSA agency.

No, as many people arrive by plane and claim asylum once in Australia (‘onshore’). As long as they had papers on arrival, they do not go to detention and they live in the community, generally with full work rights.